Restaurant Review: Re:Grub Burger Bar

Untitled
If there is one food that I love, it is a great burger. After years as a vegetarian, it’s a wonder how I arrived at a place where a nice juicy meat patty with a side of sweet potato fries and aioli can bring me so much joy. If there is a burger on a restaurants menu, I’m 90% likely to order it.

There are numerous restaurants in Calgary that boast an impressive burger in their repertoire, but no unique burger joints other than the infamous Peter’s Drive-In or other fast food joints. In comes Re:Grub, who opened their doors on 11th Ave at the end of June. When I first heard about Re:Grub, I took a glance at their social media and decided that I didn’t want to go there. A new, hip eatery should have a handle on their social media to get the word out (right? Am I the only one who thinks this?) and they frankly did not. After a few weeks of being around and hearing some reviews from friends, I finally changed my opinion and Zach and I headed there for dinner.

Re:Grub has 10 unique burgers, three breakfast options, salads, three types of fries, beer pairings, non-alcoholic beverages, and milkshakes (boozy or not). They boast their products all being made-in-house or local. Re:Grub operates in a fast-casual manner whereby you order at the till and they bring out your food in a surprisingly timely manner. We went on a Friday night and came just at the right time – a number of large groups followed us in, filling up the small joint.

Zach got the Smoke N’ Fire ($12), described as “Alberta grass-fed beef, smoky potato threads, jalapeno jack cheese, tomato, pickled habanero, butter lettuce and spicy aioli.” I opted for the Eureka! ($14.5), a “butter spiked Albertan grass-fed sirloin beef, gouda, thick cut bacon, fried shallots, butter lettuce and tomato relish.” On the side, we shared sweet potato fries ($4) with spicy aioli and truffles fries ($6).

Our burgers were good. Most notably for me was the bun – it was nice and buttery. Zach founds his burger a bit too spicy, but I suppose that’s what you get for ordering a burger appropriately named Smoke N’ Fire. What really stood out for us and will likely keep us coming back for more were the truffle fries. Good gracious. I am always more of a sweet potato fry girl, but these fries might make me a convert. They are a skinnier potato fry topped with asiago cheese, herbs and some sort of truffle, giving the fries a deliciously earthy flavor as truffles do.

Overall, we had a good dining experience at Re:Grub. The wait time was short and staff friendly, The burgers were tasty, though the fries were really what stood out. Given the venue and quality of the food, we found it a bit pricey, but perhaps the premium accounts for premium ingredients. Thanks to those asiago truffle fries, I’ll forgive their lack of social media expertise.

- S.

Re:Grub Burger Bar Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

0 comments:

Post a Comment

»

with wanderlust All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger